Australia, land of koalas, Kangaroos and of course….. WINE
A country of contrast where part of the continent is desert-like or rainforest. Some of the best wines are produced at the following regions: Barossa Valley, Padthaway, Coonawara, Adelaida Hills, Riverland o South Eastern Australia are some of the most prestigious areas of this marvellous country.
Situated in the Southern Hemisphere, Australia has extremely different climates. There are six main areas for the elaboration of wines: Western Australia,South Australia, Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria y Tasmania, and within each one there are a variety of denominations of origen.
The most popular red wine grape varieties of Australia are:
- - Cabernet Sauvignon, which is at it’s best in cool areas such as Coonawara and Margaret River.
- - Merlot, in Australia this grape variety is often used for blending, adding body to the wine, but also use to produce a high quality wines.
- - Pinot Noir is a grape variety very widely grown in Australia, mainly in cooler areas such as Tasmania; wines are lighter in body and elegant.
- - Shiraz, this grape variety is very extended throughout Australia. Barosa Valley and South Australia are excellent for this type of wine.
The principal white wine grapes varieties of Australia are:
- - Chardonnay is the Queen of white wine grape varieties, a versatile grape which adapts to different climates.
- - Sauvignon Blanc, which is very popular in Australia, is the second important white wine grape variety after chardonnay, equally versatile, of which we can find different styles of wines.
- - Riesling, one of the most interesting aromatic grape varieties, is used to elaborate very good wines from cooler areas of South Australia and Tasmania.
- - Semillon, is usually used to blend with Sauvignon Blanc to give more complexity and body. Areas such as Barossa Valley also produce Semillon grape variety wines.
Some of the most important vineyards of Australia are:
- Adelaida Hills is one of the first regions where European settlers. Excellent climate for the maturity of the grape, warm days and cool nights perfectly mature grapes such as Pinot Noir and Chardonnay, as our Penfold's Yattarna Chardonnay.
- South Eastern Australia extends across 2000 km of the Australian Continent, where the vineyards are located near to the coast, which is perfect for grapes such as Chardonnay, Semillon and Sauvignon Blanc for white wines, and Merlot, Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon for red wines. You can enjoy our Lindemans Bin 45 Cabernet Sauvignon amongst others wines from this region.
- Coonawarra, known for the Cabernet Sauvignon wines produced on it's "Terra Rossa" soil.
- Barossa Valley, vineyard of the best Shiraz wine of Australia due to it's mild climate and dry summers, also has good wines made from other grape varieties such as cabernet sauvignon, monastrell, riesling or semillon.
- Riverlands, a perfect enviroment for vineyards, which produces excellent quality wines. Try our Butterfly Ridge blended with Riesling and Gewurztraminer grapes.
This month surprise your guest and friends with an australian wine!